Becoming Catholic


Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults

The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) is the way in which adults and older children come into the Roman Catholic Church. The process is much like the experience of the two men on the road to Emmaus. Together we come to recognize Jesus, first in hearing our own individual call, then through "opening" the Scriptures, and ultimately sharing him in the breaking of the bread in the Eucharist.

If you would like to become a member of the Roman Catholic Church, please contact Kathy Lewis at 949-574-7400 extension 321 or  After completing your application and interview with Kathy, you will return to this page to register and make your payment.

The faith community of St. Joachim offers a year-round RCIA program. This program is tailored to individuals with the following needs:


  • Those never baptized who wish to be baptized in the Catholic Church.

  • Those baptized in another Christian faith who wish to become Catholic.

  • Those baptized in the Catholic Church who never received the Sacraments of Eucharist ("First Communion") or Confirmation.

In general, the process takes about a year, with the following guidelines: Those never baptized ( Catechumens ) are fully initiated at the Easter Vigil (the Saturday before Easter).


For more information regarding the RCIA program, please contact:​

Kathy Lewis

(949)574-7400 Ext 321


Why does it take so long?


We are committed to providing a sound foundation for your life-long faith journey. Statistics have shown that the more time you spend focusing on your faith, the more you will feel connected and remain active in the church.

Can I get married in the Church before I am initiated?

Usually, yes. After you complete the Inquiry portion, in most circumstances, you can be married in the Church.


What do I do if I was married outside the Church and was baptized Catholic?

If you or your spouse were baptized Catholic, and you were married outside the Church, you will need your Marriage blessed. This is usually easily done.


What paperwork do I need?

If you have been baptized, we will need a copy of your baptismal certificate, or a witness statement from someone who knows you were baptized. If you need your marriage blessed, we will need all of the paperwork from your civil marriage and any divorce(s) or annulment.


What do I do if I have a question that is not on this page?


We schedule an interview with each Inquirer to address your questions or concerns. Those with marriage issues, or needing a marriage blessing will meet with the Parish priest to make those arrangements.

© 2016 St. Joachim Catholic Church 

Call us:


Find us: 

1964 Orange Ave Costa Mesa, CA 92627

  • Facebook - White Circle

Like Us!